Fire Engineering Books: Fire Apparatus Purchasing Handbook
Fire Apparatus Purchasing Handbook by William C. Peters, Battalion Chief and Apparatus Supervisor (Ret.), Jersey City (NJ) Fire Department
This text details the step-by-step instructions needed to write specifications, go out to bid, evaluate the bids, inspect the apparatus, and save your department money.
Chief Peters provides insight into various apparatus features, real-life mishaps, maintenance programs, and warranty information that will help you and the department purchase the right vehicle for the job.
- Do we need a new rig?
- Justifying the purchase
- Apparatus types and features
- Refurbishment vs. new purchase
- Getting started
- Documenting your needs
- Special apparatus features
- Apparatus electrical and warning signals
- Writing the final specifications
- Going to bid
- Bid evaluation
- Preconstruction conference and intermediate factory inspection
- Final inspections
- Delivery and training
- Preventive maintenance and warranty